Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Island Get-Away

This week my wife and I are tourists enjoying the delights of Iceland.  The name of this country has nothing to do with ice; it is simply the Icelandic word for 'Island'.  In the history of language the English added an 's' to the Germanic word 'eiland' meaning 'land surrounded by water', but the 's' has never been prounced.

Islands are defined by more than just the water that surrounds them.  Alcatraz and Babados have very different connotations.  Robben Island became known to the world as the prison where Nelson Mandela spent 18 years being shaped into the leader he became. 


Malta is where the ship-wrecked apostle Paul found refuge and the island of Patmos was where John, the last surviving apostle of Jesus, received his apocalytic vision.  I'm going to paraphrase his words for my post today:

I, David, your brother and companion in the kingdom and patient endurance of Jesus, am in the island of Iceland weaving together the word of God and the wonders of water.

With the Spirit’s help and good fortune, I will take photos of geysers and waterfalls, rivers and thermal pools and write about them on a scroll called 'laptop' and with the voice of a trumpet called 'Internet, I will post them to you my readers back on the mainlands of the world.

I hope we can enjoy the journey together.

Images
Satellite View of Iceland - Google
Golden Falls 'Gullfoss'  - Iceland on the Web

No comments:

Post a Comment