Monday, January 16, 2012

New Beginnings

After a four-week silence this blog is back – with a new name and a fresh focus. For the past 18 months I blogged about the Wonder of Water – 210 posts exploring references to water in the Bible and what they have to say to us about life today. You will soon be able to read many of these reflections – and more – in my new book Downstream from Eden.

In the last post I wrote before Christmas I used the phrase ‘downstream from eden’ to describe the less-than-ideal circumstances of our life journey in the real world. Yesterday was one of those, a milestone marker for me and my children.


 It was seven years ago yesterday that we buried Mary Lynn. She was their mother and my wife of almost 35 years. We had expected to grow old together. My daughters and son had hoped to have their mom around to see them enter fully into their adult careers, to watch the grand-kids grow up. But the river of life which is so full of vibrant adventure also has surprise turns - suffering and disappointment, tragedy and loss. Memories can be wistful or painful, but they always denote change. We can’t reverse the current.

Seven years downstream from that cold cemetery day in Montreal in 2005 I look back and thank God for the memories. On this day in 2012 I also thank God that my children are thriving in their various careers, alive to God and to others. I revel in my six grand-kids and a rich full life with my new wife Tiffany. I’m excited that my writings about water are soon to be published. I never expected seven years ago to be in this place.

Downstream from Eden is not about nostalgia or lament for an idealized past. It’s about embracing the fluidity of life’s journey and the sweet (or sharp) poignancy of life. I don’t intend to drift, but to engage with God in a continuing adventure and watch with observant eye God’s divine conspiracy to heal, renew and expand my life.

Twenty years ago I bought a poster in Vienna Austria, a print of the opening page of the Wenceslas Bible from 1395. Vibrant colors and seven creative designs illuminate the German text of Genesis Chapter One. I’ve had that poster hanging in a prominent place in my home for two decades, admiring the art and the significance of both Creation and creativity. But time and sun-light have taken a toll on my Austrian souvenir. The vivid blues and scarlets and gold have lost their luster; it’s time for a bright new painting.

Time wears us all down. But no matter how far downstream we travel, I’m absolutely certain that the brilliance of God’s glory, creativity and the surprises of his love will never cease to sparkle. He is the God of new beginnings – and I can’t wait to see what new landscapes he has in store around the next curve of the river.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, David. Really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete