Monday, November 22, 2010

In Honor of C.S. Lewis . . .

. . . who died on this date, 47 years ago, November 22, 1963, a week before his 65th birthday.

"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake.
Love. Think. Speak.
Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
The Magician’s Nephew, p. 108

There are lots of wonderful water scenes in the Narnia Chronicles, but one of my favorites is the story of Jill in The Silver Chair.  Jill is desperately thirsty and hears running water nearby. She ventures into a forest in search of the stream and when she sees it, she is afraid to approach the stream because a huge lion is sitting between her and the stream.

'Are you not thirsty?’ asked the Lion.
‘I’m dying of thirst,’ said Jill.
‘Then drink,’ said the Lion.
‘May I – could I – would you mind going away while I do?’ said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl . . .

The delicious rippling noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.
‘Will you promise not to – do anything to me, if I do come?’ said Jill.
‘I make no promise,’ said the Lion.
Jill was so thirsty now that, without noticing it, she had come a step nearer.

Do you eat girls?’ she said.
‘I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors …,’ said the Lion.
‘I daren’t come and drink,’ said Jill.
‘Then you’ll die of thirst,’ said the Lion.
‘Oh dear!’ said Jill, coming another step nearer. ‘I suppose I must go and look for another stream then.’

‘There is no other stream,’ said the Lion.

It never occurred to Jill to disbelieve the Lion – no one who had seen his stern face could do that. It was the worst thing she ever had to do, but she went forward to the stream, knelt down and began scooping up water in her hand. It was the coldest most refreshing water she had ever tasted. You didn’t need to drink much of it, for it quenched your thirst at once.”
The Silver Chair, p.26-27.

For a warm readable guide to Lewis' 'deeper magic' I recommend John Bowen's The Spirituality of Narnia.

No comments:

Post a Comment