Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Before The Oceans . . .

The Song of Wisdom

I was born before the oceans were created,
I was there when the LORD established the heavens,
when he drew the horizon on the oceans.

I was there when he set the clouds above,
when he established springs deep in the earth.

I was there when he set the limits of the seas,
so they would not spread beyond their boundaries.
And when he marked off the earth’s foundations,

I was the architect at his side.
I was his constant delight,
rejoicing always in his presence.
And how happy I was with the world he created;
how I rejoiced with the human family!

Excerpted from The Book of Proverbs Chapter 8, verse 22-31

Wisdom is the elemental power undergirding all of nature, the creativity and purpose that flowed in the mind and heart of God.

Water is the benchmark, ‘before which’ Wisdom was birthed because water is vital to life and wonderfully effective in supporting every form of life on our planet. No water, no life. And in every form of water there is evidence of an underlying wisdom.

It may surprise us that the primary feature of wisdom in this song is not its skill or complexity. Rather, it is attentiveness to God and exuberant joy! In short, wonder and delight.

As you survey the vast panorama of creation, where do you see traces of wisdom?
What strikes you with wonder and delight?

No comments:

Post a Comment