Friday, March 25, 2011

Radical Equality

Here’s a wonder of water – sunrise and rainfall support democracy!

Your Father in heaven causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Matthew 5:45

Jesus says that God is a large-hearted, even-handed Giver. He points out that God is generous to us regardless of our degree of virtue or vice. Sunshine and rain are gifts from the Creator to his creatures with no moral pre-conditions. Jesus echoed the Psalmist a thousand years earlier who said “The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all that he has made.” Psalm 145:9.

St. Paul echoes Jesus when he tells his Greek audience about God-proofs imbedded in the natural order.

“God has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." Acts 14:17.

Nature’s bounty is the outflow of God’s self-giving nature which seeks to multiply joy – even before we respond to God.

What a contrast this is to human nature. We reward our friends and ignore those we don’t like. But God treats us all alike – and he gives gifts of common grace that are not only beneficial, but invaluable - gifts you can’t create for yourself or obtain anywhere else. Not only that, but you get your allowance whether you’ve been bad or good. “He gives his best – the sun to warm, and the rain to nourish – to everyone regardless; the good and the bad; the nice and the nasty.” Matthew 5:45 The Message.

Two farmers receive the same rainfall even though one beats his wife and the other feeds the poor. What’s the point of that? Wouldn’t the world work better if God rewarded good people and put the squeeze on those who put the squeeze on others?

Morality does matter to God. Performance reviews still count – in this world and the next. But God is even more passionate about being gracious to us all. This is how God designed human life to be lived. And the radical call of Jesus is to act like God in this extravagant non-discriminating way- to rain down kindness even on our enemies, If this is counter-intuitive for us, it shows how deeply ingrained our instinct to selective kindness is. This principle has enormous implications in every area of our lives.

But Jesus says that if we follow God’s lead, we will discover our true selves, our 'God-created selves'. “Live out your God-created identity,” he says. “Live generously and graciously towards others, the way God lives towards you.” - Matthew 5:48 The Message.

One of the distinguishing marks of the image of God in us is our capacity for generous self-giving love.

Generous God, spur me on to more spontaneous love, mentor me to be more open-handed in showing kindness, to reflect your sunshine into the world without filters and to refresh others as generously as you refresh me. Amen.

Photo Sources:
Rain - unknown - ubiquitous on Internet
Sunrise Through Grass - Wayne Suffield
Farmer - PTI Photo -The Tribune - India -

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, Today, your reflection and prayer on radical equality has really "stopped" me in my tracks. I WANT to rush on with the plans for my day ... but I am being drawn to sit quietly and consider what God is telling me to adjust in my life. Your words and thoughts have struck a chord with me ... I know it is because I do NOT treat people with radical equality ... and I must devote myself to Christ in a new and fresh way so that I can learn how to do this. In class on Wednesday I preached a sermon from the parable of the treasure hidden in a field --- and in that message I heard God clearly calling us to respond radically to all that Christ reveals to us -- but giving up EVERYTHING that is required in order to TAKE HOLD OF -- to ENTER INTO -- what He is showing us. This word "radical" is fresh on my mind and heart. For me ... there is both fear and excitement in following the ways of Christ without reserve -- whole-heartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello David, I am en route to Haïti. This is a great reminder of God’s common grace – good for Haïti and good for Canada! God bless.
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete